Kabana Kids Blog
A Sweet Father's Day Memory 0
I came across this blog post I wrote about seven years ago, when my daughter was 3. It brought a tear to my eye. In honor of Father's Day (in two weeks), I'm posting it again.
When a Man Becomes a Father
She had him at flicker. The first time he saw his baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound monitor, he was mush. And he’s been that way about her ever since.
I would say it was at that six-week prenatal appointment that my husband Bobby really became a father. His life changed at that moment. He was proud. He was excited. He had tears in his eyes. He wouldn’t let go of the grainy “first” photo of what would become his little girl. He carried that ultrasound image with him everywhere, showing it off to everyone, saying, “This is my baby!”
The morning Siena was born Bobby would not leave her side. He refused to let her out of his sight until the hospital staff fastened the promised security device around her ankle. On that day he became her protector. Protect her will be his number one priority for the rest of his life.
Since then, he has also become her book reader, errand partner, fun provider, comedian, horsey, ice cream companion, spoiler, explainer, and the first man she will ever love. He is the model on which her future relationships will be based. A father is the first man in his daughter’s life, and teaches her about how men treat women (by how he treats her, her mother, and other women). He builds his daughter’s self-esteem by telling and showing her she’s valuable.
Siena doesn’t know this yet, but by having an involved daddy, she has a better chance of a successful future. Research shows that children with involved fathers are more likely to be emotionally secure, to be confident to explore their surroundings, and to have better peer relationships. They tend to be more sociable and less likely to get in trouble. They are better academic achievers, experience overall life satisfaction, and demonstrate a greater tolerance for stress and greater self-control.
Bobby’s role in Siena’s life is more important than she will ever know. Siena’s role in Bobby’s life is just as important. This he knows.
In honor of Father’s Day, I interviewed Bobby and Siena about their father-daughter relationship.
My interview with Bobby:
Me: What does fatherhood mean to you?
Bobby: It’s an honor to serve as a father. I’ve been given the exclusive opportunity to be Siena’s father.
Me: What have you learned about yourself since becoming a father?
Bobby: The importance of being a good example. It really motivates you to be a better person. I learned that I have an extra abundance of love I didn’t know I had.
Me: What kind of father are you?
Bobby: Engaged and involved.
Me: What are your hopes for her?
Bobby: To learn to never compromise her self-respect, and to make good choices, and have an enjoyable life.
Me: What can you teach her?
Bobby: The value of hard work, the importance of family, and unconditional love.
I interviewed Siena earlier that day. Even though she’s only 3, she provided some insight.
Me: What do you love about Daddy?
Siena: I love my Daddy very much.
Me: What do you like to do with Daddy?
Siena: Daddy gets up in the morning. The he sleeps in a little bit. Then he lets in the sunshine.
My interpretation: Daddy is there for me. I know I can always count on him, every day, morning and night. He takes good care of me, is very involved in my life, and loves me unconditionally. He makes me happy. My heart still flickers for him.
Happy Father’s Day to my husband and devoted fathers everywhere. You let in the sunshine every day.
Update: Here are Bobby and Siena a few weeks ago going to the Father Daughter Dance at her school!
The Kabana Kids Backstory 0
Hi, I’m Lori Granieri, founder of Kabana Kids, a Ventura, California based company that designs, makes and sells beachy products for babies, kids, families, etc. I’d like to share our story with you.
Here’s a little bit of information of who and what Kabana Kids is, and how we came to be.
What is Kabana Kids?
Beachy Products for Family Fun
Kabana Kids designs, manufactures, and sells adorable, fun, and sustainable baby, kids’ and parents’ products with beachy and tropical touches. Families having fun together is what we’re about. We want to make life with little ones like a day at the beach. No worries. Just sunshine, sea breezes, salt air, and sandy toes. From coordinating diaper bags and play mats, colorful sun hats and summery outfits, to a proprietary baby sun shading system (in the works), our products allow families to enjoy life together – at the beach and everywhere else, all year long.
How It All Started
A Baby and a Beach
When our daughter was born, we wanted to take her to the nearby beach. Lacking a good sun shading system, we waited until she was older to take her to the beach. I since invented a sun shading system that is currently in the works. Meanwhile, it sparked many ideas for other beach-related baby (and family) products, as well as a company that makes and sells products with beachy touches. That’s how the idea for Kabana Kids was sparked.
The Name Kabana Kids
A Nice Vacation-y Ring To It
Honestly, it was hard to come up with a name for our company. We tried out lots of names, and finally a friend of my husband’s suggested Cabana Kids. I changed the C to a K and loved it. It had a nice, fun, beachy, vacation-sounding ring to it. It was alliterative and unique. So, we chose it.
Great for Families on the Go
The coordinating bags and mats were initially a spin-off from our sun shading system invention, which includes a beach/diaper bag. At an Expo, people were telling us how much they loved the bag and that they wanted to buy one. It got me to thinking that I should make a line of these bags. Then, I thought, a play mat for on-the-go would be a really convenient and helpful thing for parents to keep in their bags for times when they want to put baby down, at the beach, park, even at home, anywhere indoors or out. It could be used for tummy time or play time, and it could also be used with toddlers for floor play or book time, rest time, or for older kids. It had to be big enough, but foldable. So, we had it sewn in panels for easy folding and portability. We also did the hats because they’re cute and also good for protecting babies from the sun.
The Original Product Idea
A Beach Baby Invention
Or initial baby sun shading product invention is still in the works. We are redesigning some of the mechanics and really focusing on safety. We do plan to launch it in the not-too-distant future, and we’re thinking we might do a crowd-funding campaign with it. Check back with us or sign up for our newsletter for updates.
I’ve always considered myself creative, an artist. I guess I would say that I’m a designer and entrepreneur. I’m also a mom and a wife. In terms of jobs I’ve had, here are some: I’ve been a journalist, writer, PR person, and, most recently, a School Psychologist. I have always come back to creating, though. It’s my passion – creating, designing, making, planning, imaging, picturing. I love the beach, traveling, family time, kids, babies, dogs, and fun, cute whimsical things.
We Care About Kids and Families
When starting our company, we knew we wanted to have charity as part of our core business model. We also wanted to donate to organizations that benefit children and families. We decided to start in our own community, and have partnered with local charitable organization, Step Up Ventura, who provides therapeutic services and access to childcare and preschool for children ages zero to five who are affected by homelessness or at risk of homelessness. A portion of every purchase of a Kabana Kids product is donated to this amazing organization and cause!
About Our Products
Beachy Diaper Bags and Play Mats
Kabana Kids’ coordinating Beachy Diaper Bags and Play Mats are perfect for families on-the-go! They are versatile and multi-functional, and are great for the beach, the park, and everywhere else – indoors or out. The mats fold up easily and fit into the bags, which also have room for other essentials. Mix and match your bag and mat, available in fun beachy color and print combinations.
Beachy Diaper Bags
Kabana Kids’ signature style, beachy chic all-purpose diaper bags are made from the highest quality materials including non-toxic, eco-friendly waterproof vegan leather on the bottom. They include both tote straps and backpack straps for added versatility and convenience. They are large and roomy, fully lined, and have pockets inside and outside and a zip-top closure. A folded up Beachy Play Mat fits perfectly inside with room leftover for other items. The diaper bag can also be used as a beach bag, overnight bag, and everything bag.
Beachy Play Mats
Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats are soft and cozy on top and water resistant underneath, making them perfect for indoors and outdoors – at the beach, the park or anywhere you go. They come in fun, beachy prints, and coordinate with Beachy Diaper Bags. The mats also fold up easily and fit inside diaper bags, making them portable and convenient and great for traveling. They can be used with a baby, toddler, or older child, as well as with multiple children, and even with adults. Use them for resting and naptime, playing or reading a book, tummy time, and snuggling on (there’s room for baby and you).
Beachy Baby Sun Hats
Our adorable baby sun hats are made from 100% cotton, designed in a casual petal style, and feature a variety of fun and beachy colors and prints. They’re available in small, medium and large, and fit babies from newborn through 18 months.
Beachy Baby Bodysuits
Featuring my whimsical, beachy drawings, our Bodysuits (onesies) are short-sleeved, 100% cotton with silkscreened designs and tagless labels, and come in sizes 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-12 months, and 12-18 months. I’m working on new designs as well.
In the Works
We are working on additional fun, beachy products, including more onesie and t-shirt designs, sundresses for babies, toddlers, and older girls, our original sun-shading system, accessories, and more.
Please feel free to send us your comments with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, sign up for our newsletter, and follow us on Instagram: @kabanakids. We’d love it if you tag photos that include our products with #kabanakids! You can check out our more of blog posts here.
- Lori Granieri
- Tags: baby bag company baby product company baby products beach baby products beach bag company beach brand beach business beach comany beach family products beach kid products beachy baby products beachy family products beachy kid products business background business backstory business story california business california company charitable businesses charitable company companies that give back companies who care companies who give back creative business diaper bag company our story small business story of a business ventura business ventura company we donate to charity why we started this business why we started this company
The Perfect Family Beach Bag 0
The perfect family beach day starts with the perfect beach bag! Kabana Kids’ signature Beachy Diaper Bags were made for this! They’re not just “diaper bags”; they’re made to go with you and your family to the beach and everywhere else!
When choosing the right beach bag for your family, you’ll want one that’s large, roomy, soft and strong, and easy to pack and carry. The best beach bags are versatile, convenient, portable, convertible, and stylish. Here are some things to look for when selecting your family beach bag.
Tips for choosing the perfect family beach bag:
Large and Roomy – your beach bag should be able to carry a lot! When going to the beach, especially with kids, you’ll likely bring along all kinds of stuff. The right bag allows you to pack it all in! See beach bag packing tips below.
Soft Yet Strong and Sturdy – a soft bag lets you expand your bag as much as you need, so you can pack as much or as little as you wish, and also lets you store it away and pack it up without taking up too much room. A sturdy bag travels well, holds up throughout all your outings and adventures, and lasts over time. Kabana Kids’ bags are made of soft yet sturdy cotton canvas, are fully lined inside, have a tough waterproof bottom and a large, sturdy zipper on top.
Easy to Carry – backpack straps can very useful. Kabana Kids’ beach bags include two sets of straps, for extra convenience and versatility: one set allows you to carry it as a tote or over the shoulder; the other set allows you to wear it as a backpack!
Waterproof – having a bag that’s waterproof on the bottom is a huge bonus! You can set it on wet sand and the inside of your bag won’t get wet. Kabana Kids’ beach bags have luxurious non-toxic vegan leather on the bottom for extra safe protection.
More Convenient Features – pockets inside and out are great for holding things like wallets, cell phones, keys, etc.; a strong zipper on top keeps things from spilling out; lining inside adds to durability; and great construction means your bag will hold up over time. Kabana Kids’ beach bags have all these great features and more!
Stylish – looks also matter when it comes to a great beach bag! Be sure to choose one that matches your family’s beach style. Kabana Kids’ beach bags are casual beachy-chic, and come in six fun beachy (as well as nautical and tropical colors): Coastal Sky, Pink Sand, Tropical Green, Coconut, Sand & Navy, and Deep Navy. Check them out here! Our bags coordinate stylishly and conveniently with our Beachy Play Mats (awesome beach mats for kids of all ages). See them here! You can also buy them as a bundle here!
- Towels and/or mats
- Lip balm
- Pouches (for carrying smaller items)
- Water and beach toys
- Extra bags (for trash, wet things, seashells, etc.)
Family beach days are the best days! Make all your beach days great, starting with the perfect beach bag!
Also, tag your photos on Instagram with Kabana Kids’ products #kabanakids
- Lori Granieri
- Tags: beach backpack beach bag beach bag backpack beach bag diaper bag beach bag ideas beach bag tips beach diaper bag beach essentials beach gear beach travel bag beachy diaper bag blue beach bag chic beach bag choosing a beach bag colorful beach bag convenient beach bag convertible beach bag diaper bag beach bag eco friendly beach bag ecofriendly beach bag environmentally friendly beach bag family beach bag family beach day family beach essentials family beach gear family beach stuff fun at the beach how to choose a beach bag how to choose family beach bag how to pack a beach bag large and roomy beach bag large beach bag perfect beach days perfect family beach bag planning a day at the beach planning family beach day planning family beach trip stylish beach bag versatile beach bag waterproof beach bag what to pack in beach bag
Fun 4th of July Baby and Family Items 0Kabana Kids has the cutest nautical, Americana, and red, white and blue products that are perfect for the 4th of July! Check out our collection of bags, mats, hats and onesies!
- Lori Granieri
- Tags: 4th of july baby 4th of July family 4th of july fun 4th of july items 4th of july kids 4th of july onesie 4th of july products 4th of July stuff americana baby americana baby products americana family products baby 4th of july baby 4th of july hat baby 4th of july outfit baby fourth of july hat baby fourth of july outfit baby's first 4th of july beachy 4th of july beachy fourth of july cute 4th of july stuff family 4th of july fourth of july onesie fourth of july products nautical products patriotic products red white and blue baby red white and blue baby onesie red white and blue hat red white and blue products stars and stripes baby onesie stars and stripes onesie toddler 4th of july
Portable Play Mats for Outings with Little Ones 0
Have you ever been somewhere and wanted or needed to let your little one sit and play on the floor for a bit? But you couldn’t because you didn’t have anything to protect them from the dirty surface?
In these situations, having a ready-to-use play mat with you can be really helpful!
Getting out and about with babies and toddlers requires some planning. Sometimes we try to time it just right, when they’re fed, changed, and ready to nap. But, sometimes, things don’t go as planned. Sometimes, they’re not tired. Or, they are tired, but won’t sleep. Sometimes they don’t want to be in their stroller or car seat. Sometimes, littles get antsy, and need to stretch their little limbs. On the floor is where they want to be. Right now. Pronto.
What they need is a mat that is large enough for a baby to lie on or a toddler or older child to sit on, spread out on, and stretch, play, read, snuggle, etc.
A play mat can be a great protective barrier between a child and the floor or ground. And while a blanket or towel can sometimes do the trick, there are times when you want a little bit of padding.
Kabana Kids’ portable Beachy Play Mats were made with this purpose in mind. They’re big enough to allow little ones to spread out, but compact and easy to fold and stash so you can take them with you. And, they coordinate cohesively with Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats, making not only an adorable put-together ensemble, but also allowing you maximum portability and convenience.
Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats are made with soft cotton on top, water resistant nylon underneath, and light padding in between. And, they’re sewn in panels, making them quick and easy to fold up and take with you.
They are perfect for those times when your little one needs a little floor time, no matter where you are – at a friend’s house, in a waiting room, at an older child’s sporting event or dance class, at the airport, in a hotel room, at the zoo, the park, at home, anywhere. They’re also great for the beach, at the pool, on a picnic, or lounging in your backyard.
Many Uses for Play Mats
Take your playmat with you wherever you go! You can fold it up and put it in your diaper bag, and have it with you for when you need it. It can come in handy in lots of locations and circumstances. For example:
- Multi-Functional -- Playmats are useful for resting, sleeping, tummy time, playing, picnicking, lounging, reading or looking at a book, coloring or drawing, diaper changing, playing a game, cuddling, and more. Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats are large enough for older kids too, for more than one child at a time, and for parents and kids to snuggle together.
- Playmats offer several benefits, including fun and entertainment, a diversion and new perspective, a break for the little one and parent, and developmental benefits.
- For babies, playmats allow them to stretch out on their back, roll over onto tummy, push up with arms (tummy time), practice rolling over, crawling.
- You can lay your baby down, or sit them up (depending on age), and give them some toys, teethers, or board books to explore. You can also place an activity bar with dangling toys above them, or turn them over for some tummy time (with a support pillow and toys).
For Toddlers and Older Kids
- For toddlers, playmats are great for playing with all sorts of toys and looking at books. For older kids, playmats are perfect for lounging and reading a book, playing with toys, or playing a game.
- Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats make a great gift. Pair them with some toys, books, or other items that go with their theme, and you have a thoughtful, unique, fun and useful gift set!
- Play mats are great for traveling. When paired with a Kabana Kids Beachy Diaper Bag (also an amazing beach, pool, overnight and everyday bag), you can take your Beachy Play Mat with you everywhere you go!
About Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats
Kabana Kids’ Beachy Play Mats feature fun, whimsical, beachy prints, and they coordinate with, fit into, and pair perfectly with Beachy Diaper Bags. Together, this combination is perfect for parents who like to get out and about with their children. The mats fold up easily and fit inside these bags, which can also be carried as backpacks. Families who like to travel, go on day trips or outings, and share fun experiences together will especially love these bags and mats. Here is some more information:
Beachy Play Mat Highlights:
- Convenient, Versatile, Multi-Functional, Multi-Purpose, Handy, Sustainable
- Goes and grows with your family
- Great for both indoor and outdoor use
- Can be used for babies, toddlers, and older kids, even with more than one kid
- Large enough for you to sit on with your child
- Adorable, whimsical prints
- Highest quality, safe materials
- Exceptionally well made
- Soft, 100% cotton on top, water resistant nylon on bottom, light padding in between
- Sewn in four panels to fold up easily
- Fold up and pack into bag
- For indoor and outdoor use
- Machine washable
- Cute, colorful, whimsical beachy prints
- Luxurious, soft fabric
- Match/coordinate with our diaper bags
- Getting out and about with little ones
- Conveniently fit into bag, ready to use when you need it
- Take it with you wherever you go
- Comes in handy for lots of things
- Great gift
- Lori Granieri
- Tags: baby play mats baby playmats beachy play mat beachy playmat benefits of play mats benefits of playmats how to use a play mat how to use a playmat many uses for a play mat many uses for a playmat on the go baby product on the go toddler product outings with baby outings with little ones outings with toddler parents on the go perfect play mat perfect playmat play mats playmats portable play mat portable playmat things to do with a play mat things to do with a playmat tips for parents on the go tips for traveling with baby toddler play mat toddler playmat travel play mat travel playmat travel products traveling with baby traveling with toddler why you need a play mat why you need a playmat
Fun, Beachy Printables Brighten Up Rooms 0
Here’s a fun, simple and inexpensive way to add a whimsical summer touch to a nursery, kids’ room, or any other room! Kabana Kids has several adorable, beachy artwork designs you can download and use as you wish.
Print them out (on a color printer), frame them, and display them on the wall or on a shelf. Group them with other related prints and/or some props or decorative items in a similar theme and you have a whole new look!
You can use these printables in any room – nursery, child’s room, play room, powder room, family room, classroom, office, etc. – or as party décor, as part of a craft or invitation, or other project. The options are limitless!
Our printables feature Kabana Kids’ own original whimsical artwork. Themes include: beach, surf, mermaids, dolphins, Hawaii, pineapple, and more. Click here to see all designs.
- Lori Granieri
- Tags: baby room art baby room digital downloads baby room printables baby room wall decor beach baby room beach baby room decor beach baby wall art beach printables beachy printables fun printables kid room art kid room printables kids room art kids room digital downloads kids room printables nursery art nursery digital downloads nursery printables nursery wall decor ocean printables whimsical art